Many of us produce stunning garden displays in the summer months, but autumn through to spring can be equally if not more important to brighten up the cooler, darker months of the year when we all need cheering up. Wallflower Sugar Rush are one of the fairly newly bred varieties that are perfect for this job. Below are a few of the reasons I think you might want to feature them in your displays in the months to come.
- Winner in the ‘Best New Bedding Plant’ category at the Grower of the Year Awards 2013
- Flowers not only in spring as you would expect a wallflower to, but also will give an additional flowering this autumn, flowering in just six weeks from an August planting.
- A gorgeous sweet fragrance to delight us in autumn and spring.
- Dense flower spikes in a sumptuous range of colours
- A multi-branching habit.
- With a height and spread of 30cm (12in) they are not only great for the front of our borders, but also provide wonderful displays in autumn to spring containers, perhaps mixed with spring bulbs such as tulips.
- An undemanding plant that will stand the poorest of soils, is very hardy and needs little care in the winter months.
If purchasing smaller plug plants rather than garden ready plants, they will need growing on in frost free conditions before being hardened off to plant out in a sunny, free draining area of the garden or in a quality multi-purpose compost in your containers and window boxes.
To view these plants at Thompson & Morgan click here
Images copyright Thompson & Morgan